Welcome to Williston Middle School of Math, Science & Technology. I am Stephanie C. Thomas, the School Social Worker. If you have any questions concerning student attendance, student needs, student clubs, academic and social needs please contact me at 910-815-6906 ext. 310.
School Social Workers can assist faculties and families in identifying and helping students experiencing difficulties academically, emotionally and socially. The role of a school social worker encompasses efforts to serve as an advocate, liaison, coordinator, case manager and consultant for students, parents, school staff and community agency personnel. Social workers are available to be participants in various school conferences, make home visits, initiate phone contacts with parents and agency personnel and provide consultation/staff development on various social work related issues for teachers. School social workers can provide information on issues of abuse/neglect, homelessness, compulsory attendance law, policy and procedures, parental involvement, family resource centers, parenting issues, utilization and management of assistance teams, including school, family and community interventions, community resources, etc.
What do School Social Workers Do?
School social workers help STUDENTS:
- achieve maximum benefit from their educational opportunities
- understand themselves and others
- improve interpersonal relationships
- cope with stress
- develop decision making skills
School social workers help PARENTS:
- participate effectively in their children's education
- understand and meet their children's social and emotional needs
- understand programs available to students with special needs
- utilize school and community resources effectively
School social workers help SCHOOLS:
- understand factors (cultural, societal, economic, familial, health, etc.) that affect students'
abilities to make maximum use of their school experience
- utilize their resources in meeting the educational, social, and emotional needs of students
- promote a safe school environment
School Social Workers help COMMUNITIES:
- understand school policies, programs, and practices
- minimize those environmental factors which inhibit learning
- develop resources to adequately meet the needs of students and families